My junk drawer is full of game pieces.
Random little trinkets, long gone from their original packaging, never to see board game victory again. There are game timers with sand that won’t fall, Scrabble tiles from who knows which era, and dice moved so often they’ve ended up in a game that doesn’t even need dice.
What is one to do with this mish-mash of gaming?
Repurpose of course!
I’m going to show you how to make coasters out of a domino set that is ready to see new life. This project is incredibly fast, it took me less than fifteen minutes! These coasters will be a hit at the next game night.
What you’ll need for domino coasters:
Dominoes 8 for each coaster you’d like to make
Hot Glue Gun
Hot Glue Gun Sticks
Step-by-step directions for making domino coasters:
1. Heat up the hot glue gun.
2. Measure the cardboard to the size of the coasters. I used an already existing coaster as a template, but you can either lay out the dominoes and trace them or measure out a 4″ by 4″ square.
3. Cut out the cardboard. This piece is the back of the coaster. It is okay if the size is not exact; in fact a little bit too small might make it look even better!
4.Arrange the dominos on the cutout. You may use whatever pattern you’d like. It took me eight dominos for the size coaster I created. If it doesn’t quite fit together right, cut the cardboard until it does.
5. Flip the dominoes face down onto your work surface so you can begin gluing them on.
6. You’re ready to start gluing! You’ll want to start at one of the corners. Pick up the first face down domino. Put hot glue on the domino back and quickly place it glue down on the very edge of the corner you’re starting with.
7. Continue in this manner gluing down all the dominoes. I tried putting glue on the sides of the dominoes to glue them together which worked well. I also tried putting the glue on the cardboard instead of the domino, which also worked just fine. There are many ways to try this project and I don’t think any of them are wrong!
As you glue down each domino place it tightly against its neighbor. This will help keep them together.
8. Glue down all the dominoes and you’ll quickly have a domino coaster.
If something goes wrong: don’t worry! Hot glue is pretty easy to fix. Just wait for the glue to cool, chip it off the domino with a finger nail and try again.
9. Use the awesome new coasters at your next game night!
I hope to bring you another board gamer’s craft project soon!